History

draggingcanoeLocated on the side of Raccoon Mountain and the shoreline of the Tennessee River/Nickajack Lake, the 50 acres of land that house the Tennessee River Gardens & Nature Preserve has been under the ownership of just two families for more than 175 years.

The land was the last territory controlled by the remnants of the Cherokee Indian nation under Chief Dragging Canoe until the 1790’s.

The property later served as the river embarkation point for the infamous Cherokee “Trail of Tears” to Oklahoma in 1838.

During the Civil war, the Kelly’s Ferry location on the edge of the property was the unloading and starting point of the “Cracker Line”, which supplied the beleaguered Union troops, surrounded by the Rebel forces in Chattanooga in 1863, with basic supplies for their survival.